Monday, January 18, 2010

Reflections and Changes

I was working on all these things to get ready to apply for the SBA loan, and then I just stopped. Just did nothing for about a week. I started asking myself why, and didn't have the answer right away.

I do now.

This business, Herbal Hippie, is a real passion for me. It is very much an extension of me, and reflects my tastes, my ethics, my personality. There were things I was trying to do that did not fit with that, directions I was considering heading in that did not mesh with who I am. And that did not sit well with me.

While I love my country very much, I am not a fan of the people running it- another words, I don't like our government. Yet I was going to apply for a government loan to finance my business... it was during that time of doing 'nothing' that my brain was working, and showing me how I can't do that. I can't be anti-government, and then turn around and take their money, and then spend that money the way THEY want it to be spent, effectively giving control of my business to the SBA; it goes against my ethics, and it's too damned hypocritical. So no, I'm not doing that.

Thank goodness I didn't spend hours filling out these forms!

So I'm back to the drawing board- back to ways to run this on a shoestring until I get enough sales to take it to the next level. Alternatively, I can take investors who have the same ethics, goals, and dreams that I do, those that are in line with the focus of the business. Either way, at least this way I'll be able to look myself straight in the eyes when I'm looking into the mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment