Thursday, October 21, 2010

Shopping at Co-Op

I was stopped dead in my tracks, blood drained from my face in the store today. There sat a display of lip balms, prominently named with the phrase I had chosen as a slogan for my lip balm. And it was Trademarked.

On the one hand, I am very glad I saw this before I began the 20+ hours to create the t-shirt logo, which I had planned to start tomorrow. On the other, I was very attached to this slogan; it is very good, and an easily remembered catchy phrase. I regretted losing it.

I was upset because the only reason I lost the use of this phrase was because of finances. I could not afford the trademark myself, so I lost some very valuable intellectual property.

I had been seriously considering pursuing venture capital prior to this, now I am certain. I have an outstanding product, vastly superior to anything on the market. The only way the public will know about it is if there is a large sum of capital to mass produce and promote it, and I need to stop dragging my feet about obtaining it. I am losing market space, more every day.

I think that I felt that going for a venture capitalist was giving up, admitting I could not do it myself. Now I realize that it is a sign of success. Hey, guess what? I can't do it all by myself- there's not enough of me, not enough hours in the day. There's nothing wrong with that. Realizing that, and and taking the steps to get that help, are steps towards success.

So I am grateful for the new lip balm, for giving me the burning desire to take the next step. I have been skirting back from this step for a long time; no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment